Friday, May 4, 2012

Fun With Fact Families

Yesterday we had a math lesson on fact families so I tried this extension.  I divided my class into groups of three.  I assigned each group member a part to be either the mom, baby, or dad.  Then they spread out all over the room and drew their person with a number on the shirt(moms and babies chose their numbers and the dad's had to add the first two numbers to get their number).   After making the people, they made a house with the four equations on it and decorated it into a 12"x 18" poster.  This was really fun.  The kids had a lot of choice and liked decorating the posters.  They said it was more fun than a paper!



3 comments:

Mrs. Anderson said...

This is a really cute idea. I know my kids would enjoy working together on a project like this. I'm sure this will go deeper into their memory with this hands on activity. Thanks for sharing!
Connie
www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

Becca said...

I can't believe you didn't share this with me yesterday, or even this morning. I spent the morning stretching out the calendar so I would "run" out of time to do the problem solving page! I guess this is what we are going to do NEXT Friday.

Barbara said...

That's a very cool idea, Chari. Thanks!

Barbara
Grade ONEderful
Ruby Slippers

Pin It button on image hover