Thursday, November 15, 2012

Class Emergency Kit

Ok, I have spent about a week thinking about this.

We were all pretty shook up by the fact that we were expected to keep our little ones safe with no power, the very real possibility of no lunch, and to keep them safe. I think we have all spent some time trying to decide what we could do beyond our typical "extra recess" strategy. On this last day of no power the weather had decided to turn nasty, so "extra recess" was out of the question especially since we had no heat and keeping them warm would be a disaster.

So, with my principals permission I decided to make a class emergency kit. I had no idea of what I should put in it, but after some dedicated time on google I discovered that in some schools having students provide items for an emergency kit was required! That won't be possible for me, so I am counting on my parents being willing to donate the supplies for their child and hoping that a few will be willing to help out my little ones who are unable to provide a kit for themselves.

This is what I came up with:



 

I am still trying to think of worthwhile activities that the kids can do while the power is out, especially in the winter when we can't open our doors for extra light. If you happen to have any marvelous ideas please let me know. Remembering that the activities need to be applicable for any time of the year (big challenge, I know).

When I get it put together, I will share some pictures. I know that I can visualize how I want things to look much easier when I can see how someone else has done it already.


3 comments:

Julie DiBenedetto said...

Becca,
What a thoughtful idea! Great way to think outside the box and cover all your basis! Definitely adding this to my to-do list! Thanks for sharing and I am happy to be your newest follower!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Julie
Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

Amanda said...

I think your emergency kit is a great idea! Our power has only gone out twice in the 9 years I have taught. One game my students loved was playing "I Spy" with a flashlight on our word wall. One student gave clues (number of letters, number of syllables, rhymes with ____, etc) while the others guessed. Another game is to use the flashlight to "highlight" a word or a number on the 100s chart and have students read it/guess it. This entertained my kindergarten kids for a while anyway!

Amanda
www.averycuriousclass.blogspot.com

Barbara said...

Great idea! We have those in the event of a big earthquake. We call them comfort kits:)
Take care.
❀Barbara❀
Grade ONEderful
Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

Pin It button on image hover