Thursday, April 12, 2012

Fun With Fractions

This was a fun and amazingly successful fraction activity! First I handed out a stack of 2"x 11"bright colored paper strips. Then I had them write "1 Whole" on the first strip and place it at the top of their desk. I had them take the second strip and fold it in half, cut on the fold, and write "1/2" on each section and place it under the "1 Whole" strip. We continued in this manner with 1/4 and 1/8. I then asked them about what they noticed about the numbers in the denominator (They get bigger when the sections are smaller because they have more parts, etc.). I asked them where 1/3 would be inserted then we folded and cut a strip into 1/3 and placed it between the 1/4 and 1/2. We finished by gluing the strips in order on a black paper.
Folding and cutting the strips.
Placing the cut sections on the desk.
The Finished Product

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Love it! We start fractions in a few weeks so I'll start out with this activity!
Rowdy in First Grade

Unknown said...

Thank you very much!
Adding it tomorrow!!!

Mrs. Anderson said...

We started fractions today in our math program. I'm definitely going to do this activity!! It's visually a great way to show the fractions you are working on.
Thanks for sharing!
Connie
welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I love this!! We're working on fractions right now, too! But really only equal parts... halves..wholes.. I introduced quarters but we're not really "teaching" it. I'm going to have to copy this wonderful idea though and just go up through 1/4.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Nicole
Rowdy in Room 300

Cupcake said...

Great idea!!
❤Teri
A Cupcake for the Teacher

Pin It button on image hover