Friday, April 12, 2013

We've had a blast reading The Wonderful Wizard of Oz in First Grade.  For the past two weeks I've been reading about two chapters per day.  I bought a cute unit on tpt.  My favorite activity was the journal entry from a characters point of view. You can get it here.  After my students wrote their journal entries, I had them read them to the whole class and they guessed what character it was. While reading the book we noticed there were a lot of examples in the text that indicated the Scarecrow had a brain, the Tin Woodman had a heart, and the Lion had courage.  I made this anchor chart for my students to write down specific events that supported our theory.  You can get it here.  I love the Melonheadz clip art and bought it here.  We took our First Graders to the play, The Wizard of Oz, put on by a local children's theater group.  It was amazing! We also watched the movie and compared them.  After all of this my students and I agree that the book is always better than the movie!






No comments:

Pin It button on image hover