Sunday, February 3, 2013

Utah Symbols Booklet


I have been blessed with the opportunity to mentor a student teacher this semester which is giving me some time to really look at the Utah core and make sure that I am teaching what I should.

I am embarrassed to admit that I have missed the boat on explicitly teaching any Utah symbols. I always mentioned them when we talked about US symbols, but that isn't good enough. I quickly discovered there isn't a lot of ready made materials so specific for our state (I even begged info from our 4th grade teachers!). So, I spent a good part of my "free" time working on putting together something that I thought I would share.

I created a smart notebook file that looks at the symbols on the Utah state flag. Then to go along with that file I created a "coloring" book for the kids to create a book of their own state symbols.

I still have some tweaking to do on the smart notebook file, but I am willing to share it just send me an email and I will send it on. Here is a copy of the coloring book for you to use with your kids.

CLICK HERE FOR YOUR COPY!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have had this on my mind, so funny that you did too! Glad you made something so I don't have to!
Lory

Tracy P. said...

I live in Texas and made a big Texas symbol packet to use in my Kindergarten classroom, then as a request for a friend, I made a Utah symbol packet. I finished it but would love to have another native-Utah teacher's opinion on it! Can I send it to you for free? My email is TracyPippin@gmail.com, message me and I'll send it to you.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Utah-State-Symbols-and-Sentence-Scramble-Plus-Pioneers-1158180

Pin It button on image hover